Moringa Oleifera is one of those plants whose title ranges from “Miracle Tree” to “Tree of Life”. It is considered as one of the most nutritious plants ever discovered with most of its benefits concentrated in its small green leaves. It is a fast-growing deciduous tree, native to southern foothills of the Himalayas in northwestern India. It is widely cultivated in tropical and subtropical areas all over Asia, Africa, and South America. It can be planted in coastal areas and is drought resistant. This tree can be propagated through cuttings and seeds. It is also known as horseradish tree and Ben oil tree.
Other names in different languages include –
Bengali – Sajna
Burmese – Dandalonbin
French – Be’n aile’, Benzolive
Gujarati – Suragavo
Hindi & Urdu – Munaga, Sahijna, Segra
Khmer – Daem mrum
Malay – Kalor
Malayalam – Sigru, Muringa
Marathi – Sujna, Shevga
Oriya – Munigha, Sajina
Punjabi – Soanjana
Sinhalese – Murunga
Spanish – Ben, Morango, Moringa
Tagalog – Mulangai
Tamil – Murungai
Telegu – Munaga, Mulaga
Thai – Marum
Vietnamese – Chum Ngay
Why is Moringa a Miracle Tree?
According to my research, its Benefits include-
- It is a super plant on earth whose almost all parts of the tree are edible.
- It has many nutritional health benefits which include Vitamins A, B, C, D, E and minerals like Iron, Potassium, Calcium, Selenium, Protein and is rich in amino acids.
- It contains 3x Potassium than a banana,
2x Protein than Yogurt/Milk,
36x Magnesium than egg,
25x Iron than Spinach,
4x Vitamin A than carrots,
3x Iron than almonds,
50x Vitamin B2 than Banana,
50x Vitamin B3 than Peanut,
7x Vitamin C than orange
which is definitely the incredible Health Benefit of Moringa.
- It is rich in fiber and is said to work as a mop in your intestines and cleanses any excess waste left over from a greasy diet.
- Its leaves also have 90 essential nutrients and 2 compounds that prevent cancer and reduce tumors.
- It has medicinal properties and is used in traditional medicine in Southeast Asian countries. It helps treat urinary infections, gout, rheumatism, increase the milk production of breastfeeding women, strengthen the function of the liver, helps to lose weight and helps balance sexual dysfunctions like impotence also helps against cardiovascular diseases.
- It contains a powerful antibiotic which is efficient in eliminating bacterium known to cause gastritis, ulcers and gastric cancer.
- The seed of moringa purifies water. Moringa seeds powder is being used to purify dirty river water and removes harmful bacterias that are harmful to human being.
- It is good against malnutrition. As it grows in African countries where drought and lack of clean water is the major issue, people are planting this tree in order to fight against malnutrition and to have clean water.
How is moringa powder prepared?
Fresh moringa leaf powder is deep green in color and has a rich nutty smell. This powder is prepared by drying the moringa leaves at a low temperature such that the plant tissue reaches a finely powdered consistency. The powder is then screened to remove impurities and then made into capsules and sealed in bags. The most amazing part is that this powder remains fresh for several months, retaining its nutritional value of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, chlorophyll and complete amino acids.
Why is dried leaf powder preferred?
Leaf powder is preferred over fresh leaves because it is more nutritious and in some cases contain even ten times more specific nutrients in comparison to fresh moringa leaves. Being pure and organic, this soft and fluffy powder has no side effects and is easy to store and use. It is easily soluble in water.
Other Benefits include –
- India’s natural Ayurvedic medicine uses moringa leaves to prevent and treat over 300 diseases.
- Anti-Aging Powerhouse – Moringa leaves contain several thousand times more of the powerful anti-aging nutrient zeatin than any other known plant. Zeatin has the ability to induce cell division and growth, delay cell aging.
- Water Retention and Weight Loss – It contains anti-inflammatory and diuretic effect which helps in water retention. The high fiber content reduces the fat absorption in gut thus resulting in the reduction of insulin resistance which prevents excess fat accumulation.
- Boosts Stamina – It is great for boosting your energy and stamina as well as increasing concentration. Students can use it to improve concentration whereas athletes can benefit in the form of increased endurance during exercise. It also aids in weight loss because it provides enough energy and vitality to reduce the need for eating to increase energy levels.
- Controls Diabetes – It is extremely beneficial for those who are diabetic as it reduces lipid and glucose levels and regulates oxidative stress in patients. It can be taken in capsules or drink made from moringa powder that keeps sugar level normal.
- Protects liver – It can reduce liver damage, fibrosis and reverse oxidation in the liver. Moringa oil can restore liver enzymes to normal levels, reduces oxidative stress.
- Anti-oxidant – Moringa powder is rich in catechin polyphenols, particularly epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) which is a powerful antioxidant for inhibiting the growth of cancer cells.
- Lowers Cholesterol – It is also effective in lowering LDL cholesterol levels and inhibiting the abnormal formation of blood clots.
- Controls Blood Pressure – Another benefit of moringa powder is its soothing ability which enables to lower the blood pressure and promotes good sleep.
- Fights Inflammation – It reduces inflammation by suppressing inflammatory enzymes and proteins in the body. Moringa leaf taken in a concentrated form can significantly lower inflammation in cells.
- Detoxifies – It is often used to purify water due to its detoxifying effects. Being coagulant agent it can attach itself to hazardous bacteria and other agents. It also helps in removing toxins from the body.
- Treats Depression – Moringa powder is effective in treating depression and anxiety.
- Treats Minor Infections – Its treatment includes minor bacterial and fungal infections, lowering blood sugar levels, anemia, and weight loss.
- Cardiovascular system – It controls lipid in blood, prevention of plaque formation in arteries. Also reduces cholesterol levels.
- Improves Immunity – It provides nourishment to the eyes and brain, promotes metabolism and cell structure and encourages in the normal functioning of liver and kidney.
Skin benefits of Moringa powder –
It also has a vast array of nutrients which is beneficial for skin.
- For glowing skin – It can be directly used as a face pack or can be mixed with fuller’s earth or sandalwood paste and can be applied on the face for smooth, glowing and blemish free skin.
- Delays Ageing process – It is an excellent source of antioxidants with high contents of vitamin A, C, E, and bioflavonoids. Active oxygen radicals cause skin diseases by stealing electrodes from normal healthy biological molecules. These nutrients help to block the oxidation of healthy tissue by active oxygen which delays the aging process and lowers the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Heals wounds – The powder can be applied to cuts and wounds. It heals the cuts and wounds fast and offers a clear skin.
- For hair – It aids in Keratin formation which has a very vital role in healthy hair. The powder contains zinc which stimulates hair growth by enhancing the immune system. It is also rich in Vitamins. Deficiency of vitamin B, particularly B6, biotin, inositol and folic acid causes hair loss. On the other hand, vitamins C and E improves scalp circulation which helps hair follicles to grow stronger and healthier hair. Vitamin C is required for maintaining capillaries that carry blood to the follicles.
How to plant Moringa Tree?
Planting Moringa tree is easy and they grow even well if you don’t even water them every day.
- With the help of cuttings – only have to dig a hole deep so that ground holds the cutting and water after planting.
- Seeds – Planting Moringa seeds can be done in a pot or container in the garden. You only have to make a hole in the soil, put the seeds in it, cover with soil and water it.